Go Back   ThinkDing > Member Forums > Pre-Sale Questions
Acceptance Mark
User Name
Password

Old 10-11-2005, 09:50 PM

Default Coupla Questions

Hello,

For tdsearch:

I don't have to use your freebies pages, correct?
I can use database tables that already exist.

If I turn off "like", I assume you use "match" instead?
What are the pros and cons of that?

I noticed that you said there is a limit of 2-3 fields that can be searched.
If I have more fields (title, author, keywords, description, link, etc.), is there a way to search them also?

Is there a way to put a minimum threshold on the result listings, so things that have a relevance less than the threshold do not show up?

I think that's about it for now.

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2005, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Hello, For tdsearch: I don't have to use your freebies pages, correct? I can use database tables that already exist.

Hi, that is correct for one table: tdSearch can search one table, and you can use an existing database table without using the freebies.

Quote:
If I turn off "like", I assume you use "match" instead? What are the pros and cons of that?

There could be speed differences, with LIKE queries possibly being slower. However, when using MATCH AGAINST queries, short words, words on the MySQL stop list, and words in more than half the rows are excluded. Those are some of the main differences, but if you have access to MySQL source, you can change certain settings (see here for how).

Quote:
I noticed that you said there is a limit of 2-3 fields that can be searched. If I have more fields (title, author, keywords, description, link, etc.), is there a way to search them also?

You can search more columns without code changes (see here for how) but code changes are needed to display content from such extra columns.

Quote:
Is there a way to put a minimum threshold on the result listings, so things that have a relevance less than the threshold do not show up?

The threshold is currently hardcoded in the queries, returning results where relevance is greater than zero.

Quote:
I think that's about it for now. Thanks!

You're welcome.