PDA

View Full Version : missing search hits

minimum
09-08-2005, 05:41 PM
This is kinda weird,

I recently purchased and installed tdSearch for a Client and everything worked fine until the client's client started to search through their db for names.

•A search for John Doe (an example) would return no results.

•A search for Doe would return no results.

•A search for John would return articles containing John Doe, John Foo and John Bar.

•A search for "John Doe" would return the article that I expected.

Now, I expected that searching for John Doe would return John Doe, John Foo and John Bar's articles, but with John Doe as the top, most relevant result.

Nearly any other request works, from the simple (ex. the [returns the, there, mother and the such]) to the complex.

Any help would be most appreciated. I can provide more info as necessary if it helps. This was somewhat of a rush job (a favor for the client) and needs at least an explanation as soon as possible.

thanks in advance!!!

-minimum

Winston
09-08-2005, 05:45 PM
What is $common_word set to in the config file?

minimum
09-08-2005, 06:34 PM
it is still set to default
$common_word = "51"; // match allowance - "51" means 50 characters are used in LIKE (partial matching) queries

Winston
09-08-2005, 07:06 PM
Is $chars_to_ign also set to default? Is there a character, other than a space, between John and Doe in the database table? Can you provide a link to test?

minimum
09-08-2005, 07:24 PM
$chars_to_ign is also defaulted at 2

In at least one of the article the name appears in the regular body copy (not in a link as several do).

try http://www.greaterhealthmatters.com/search

(fyi, I did not design the site and am just the technical consultant. There are several "bugs" that I would love to fix but cannot. I do have, however, full access to the backend.)

-minimum

Winston
09-09-2005, 05:00 AM
Can you attach a dump of the two rows from the table where John is present so I can have a look-see?

Winston
09-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Hi minimum, it looks like it is now working. Was there something in the table?